Inputs

Last evening, I spent almost half my day in talks & discussions.

The first one was a talk given by Professor Ron Adams on 'Managing your supervision'. I'm sure everybody has been to a version of one [hopefully;-)], so I won't repeat all the obvious advice.

An important point from his talk I got was PhD is just another project, albeit a long one, (and the fact you are own your own makes it even longer & tedious, of course). So as any other project you have to learn to manage it. And that includes your supervisor!

Another is this:

Knowledge

Duration


The diagram represents your knowledge against your supervisor as time passes by throughout the Phd. The Red line representing your supervisor, and the blue line the student.

According to Ron, there will a point in time down the line that you will have a better overview of your topic than your supervisor. This is where it gets tricky to handle your supervisor(s) & their 'ego'. So you'll have to be prepared for that time and handle your supervisor 'delicately'. There's a whole lot of PR control in PhD actually, but you must be honest too, but not that 'honest' so as to declare you did nothing much toward your Phd last few days, weeks or months. That would be rather suicidal..he..he..he.

The next was a discussion on 'Writing at the Doctoral Level' at the Law Department by Dr Robyn Thomas. Again one of the points Robyn highlighted & I kept hearing over & over again, even by Prof Ron, was you have to start writing, NOW!

Robyn also simplified a Phd thesis as a 'point of view', put in a persuasive argument. So if I keep track of what is my overall point of view, I'll get this Phd done in time for my fourth child...he..he..he.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

kak... isik berkias pasal uwais nk dapat adikkk je..huhuhu

Nor Fadzlina Nawi said...

Kias jelah...so far ;-)

Archives